MAPDLE Trainer Development module (part 1)

 Photo by Leon on Unsplash

 MAPDLE (Part 1) Trainer Development module

 

Many people have been asking me if I’m going to blog about my MAPDLE module. Well, others have done this recently. However, on the other hand, I can’t resist documenting my exciting journey on this new MA. I don’t want just to copy them, so I’m going to focus my blog on, not so much the content but my progress on this course, and my own personal development.

For the MAPDLE, I have to complete two modules and a dissertation. Due to the fact that I have completed the DipTESOL, I am exempt from the core module, but unfortunately, my previous PG study does not closely enough align with any of the NILE modules to allow me a further exemption in credit transfer. At first, I was disappointed to hear this, but now I’m glad, as it gives me the opportunity to complete two modules here. I know that I will benefit immensely from this, and I’m just so glad that I get the chance to be part of a course like this.

This module, Trainer Development, has nine units and lasts until Dec 1st. After this, we have a period of six months in which to complete our portfolio of three pieces of work. One longer one and two shorter options. They all look very exciting to me, and I haven’t yet decided which ones to do.

I chose Trainer Development as my first module in particular as a challenge to myself, as this was an area in which I have relatively little experience, and what experience I have has been picked up as I’ve been going along. I felt that it would be initially a bit out of my comfort zone and that I would be challenged - always a good thing :) The other options which I was considering were YL, EAP, etc. For the next module, I’m still trying to decide between Materials Writing and Learner Autonomy. Learner Autonomy is my passion, and I would really like to continue with further research in this area. However, on the other hand, I’m very keen to experiment with materials writing and feel this may be a better option for the future, especially in these uncertain times. However, I do not have to decide at this moment – although thoughts and advice are most welcome! Please do leave a comment below :)

The first week of our course was a very gentle start, but I knew that this would not last long. There are eight course participants in total. Six of us are taking this module as part of our MA. We are extremely fortunate to have a highly experienced and inspiring tutor on this module, Briony Beavan, who is very active and helpful on the forums. Most of the activities in Unit 1 were intended to help everyone get to know the other people who they will be working with over the next two months.

The course is very interactive and the activities are intended to allow for as much participation and interaction as is possible online. Although the major part of the course is asynchronous, it definitely feels like a cohesive group. Participants are joining in from all over the world, including China, Egypt, Oman, and Spain, and due to the vast time difference, this is not always easy to achieve.

There are some really fantastic online tools that we are using, and these really ensure that we interact in a wide variety of ways. In addition to online forums, we have used video forums, Padlet and a new one for me – called PlayPosit – where you are able to interact directly with a video by pausing at various points, to comment or question. I would say that, for me, the most useful method of communication so far has definitely been the video forums. We have been asked to respond to various articles or scenarios by recording a video of our thoughts and then to respond to the videos of the other participants. This, I feel, has made a big difference in terms of actually being able to identify with, and respond to, the other participants on a highly personal level. This is something that is often missing in the online context.  It’s very nice to be able to put not only a face, but also a voice to the names, and it stops that anonymous feeling that sometimes results from online learning.

In addition to the asynchronous part, we also have live tutorials with our tutor and the other participants, on Zoom. We already had a tutorial last week, and this was excellent for being made fully aware of all the requirements of the course and the time frame for these to be completed. It was really reassuring to actually meet several of the other participants in real-time. We all come from very different contexts, but we all have in common that we are highly motivated and determined to succeed in everything we do. I feel that we will all be able to support and inspire each other and we have developed a very strong bond already.

In week two we looked at the distinction between the terms, teacher development, teacher training and teacher education. We contemplated the merits and demerits of three important models of teacher learning and then looked at the varying needs of PRESET and INSET participants, before evaluating a particular model of PRESET. We also had a very useful discussion around the topic of the differences in terms of skills and knowledge which are required for teaching students v teachers. I really like the fact that the majority of the participants are extremely active on the forum. This is the way that I like to learn. I think that the best way to learn is from interaction with other people, where you can not only benefit from their insights but also develop and clarify your own thoughts. This is really excellent and I’m so glad that the others enjoy this too.

We are now at week three already, and we have moved on to think about professional development. We firstly thought about the influences on our own development in an activity taken from Wright and Bolitho (2007), called ‘Career pathways’. We had to think of the people and events that had influenced us and depict these by filling in stepping stones to show how they had led us to the point we are at now, then think of the next steps too. It was fascinating, and very humbling, to discover the wide variety of experiences of my fellow participants. We also looked at issues, options, and barriers in CPD, and then completed a very interesting overview and analysis of various sources of online CPD which we might find useful in our contexts. We also had the opportunity to add another resource to the list, that we felt would be of use to the other participants :)

So far, this course has been a wonderful experience. It has been manageable in terms of workload. I feel that the ability to complete the vast amount of it in your own time, as long as you complete each unit within the allocated week, is very beneficial. Most people are working at their other jobs during the day and everyone has different timetables.

I plan to write another blog in a few weeks to document the next part of my journey on the Trainer development module, but so far so good!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

De Bono's Six Hats as a tool to respond to texts

Brain breaks for your online classroom

Flipgrid as a tool for sharing book reviews